Apparently, it was also a contest (news to me!), so I liked pretending like we were hardcore chalk artists bent on winning. I can't tell you how many people I committed to sabotaging the best ones. Could you imagine? One of my friends walks by this amazing mermaid drawing and --oops- drops his water bottle in the middle of it? Heads would roll.
My favorite thing, though (besides sitting on my legs for so long that they became numb for the next two days and I couldn't stop tripping over myself as I walked; or currently having no fingerprint because I spent my days rubbing cement with my bare hands), was just creating art in public. As conceited as it may sound, I really loved the feeling of being recognized as an artist by those around us. It's like a mixture of the fine arts and the performing arts, creating it right there in front of their eyes. All in all, I think being validated by others in what you love to do is one of the best feelings you can have.
It's just too bad all those hours and hours will be washed away next time it rains.... haha

11 comments:
Oh my WOW. So proud of you. My older brother all grown up & decorating the streets. That seriously was/IS amazing.
And I'm sorry to break the news... they were all gone yesterday when I walked there during lunch. LAME! Maybe it secretly rained Sunday? Good thing we got pictures when we did.
YAY!!! I LOVE that you're back and bloggin about this!! HOLY COW you are SO uber talented! (don't ya hate the word 'uber'?!) I had no idea you were so amazing with chalk!! You've already mastered the sculpting world with the butter cow and you're awesome claymation animation...what next? The world waits for more from the phenomenal Mr. Ryan T. Brown...
This is so stunning!!! I can't get over it. Incredible job, Ry!! I'm so happy you shared :)
I'm so happy you've posted again! Seriously, amazing work. I did an ode to you on my blog because I think you rock so much. I agree with what you said about fine arts vs. performing arts. Most of fine arts are done in a studio somewhere usually by yourself or maybe with a couple other artists. There isn't a lot of that "celebration factor" that you get with other mediums. So I agree, it's really fun to have people being with you in the creative moment-- how rewarding! I'm so proud of you. Can't wait to go to the Art Fest with you this weekend (where the magic all began)!!
so my cousin and his wife went down there and checked out the art..they took pictures of their favorite works- this picture is totally on their blog! You're famous! Congrats Ryan :)
Ryan, What an awesome piece of art. You are very talented!
That's so great!!! What an opportunity that you'll never ever forget. That's wonderful that you had the opportunity to really show that process of how much goes into a piece like that. So many people probably walked by and thought "wow, I'll get that's going to take forever- COOL!" - I mean, I would. Maybe I'm just an artist too. Way to go Ry. That's very inspiring.
Ryan! This is seriously awesome. One day I'll have to show you the one I did of Willy Wonka. It was so great. Orrrr I'd have to have you teach me how to do it in the first place. One or the other. Hope I get to see you tomorrow!
they will never wash away in my heart. love to you bf.
More, brother. We need more of your awesome life!
Ditto what Nat said... more Ryan! Especially with all your new haps in San Fran. Love.
Ryan! This is SPECTACULAR! Harrison Ford is dreamy :). It's so fun to see what you have been up to on your blog!! Shoot me an e-mail so I can add you to mine. rebeccafager@gmail.com
Post a Comment