So, today began the life of the Cork Tube (ah, don’t you just relish random first lines like that?). It all started with the blatant eyesore that literally tore through my room (okay, okay, my
shelf). Let’s explain. So, because I have the pleasure of living on a storage shelf below the basement, there are all sorts of bonus features that other rooms don’t get. For example, I have a floor that slants and is covered by an unattached layer of carpet that moves at its pleasure. Peeking out from the top, I see the haphazardly strewn cement that, I’m sure, never thought it would be the floor of a human habitation (It reminds me of the foam at the crest of a wave…). Furthermore, I have the great thrill of living in a space that is the pathway of a certain large pipe on its way to the septic tank. In fact, even now I hear my roommate relieving himself over my head… It was already covered in insulation, wire, and duct tape, but I had to put it to better use. I had an idea, researched the price, saved up, and only now has my plan been realized. What once was a dusty reminder of what we all take great measures to avoid has now become an ever-present beacon of inspiration in my daily life. After finding an art supply store off the beaten road that sells cork in rolls, I made the effort to save and trek out and get it. I bought 30 inch x 48 inch square of pure cork and wrapped it around the pipe. So now, before me, I see a canvas upon which I hope to fill with my best moments. I feel it’s a mix between Steph’s Inspiration Board, and my own Magnet Pipe (you see, I already have plenty of metal pipes running in and out of my room, but they emit a sense of raw, artistic vintage that I thrive off of. I’ve already begun filling
them with magnets that make me laugh). Perhaps the first pin I put on my Cork Tube embodies best what I hope to accomplish with it. It’s the yellow pin found in my Grandma’s basement that says only “Make Good Things Happen.” This, along with my other life theme of “Love This Moment” has helped me make the most of my time, look for the good and positive everywhere, and to incite others to do the same.

So, now, I want to fill the unique space with moments that remind me why I live: Rebecca’s Film Festival-themed birthday party where she rented a theater complete with a red carpet, had us all dress up, passed out Junior Mints and popcorn and had us watch each other’s films; Sitting at the Karaoke Bar on New Years Eve after singing “I Got You Babe” with an amazingly talented Cher; A coaster from the Salsa Club where Lisa and I went dancing (and convinced ourselves that we showed up all those people who knew what they were doing); My favorite photo of all of my siblings, the people who believe in me more than I ever will; A movie ticket from the show that made me laugh till I was crying, another from the show that made me want to be a better person; The plane ticket from when I sat next to Asha, the sweet Indian lady; The idea for my next art project.
I think everyone should have their own form of an Inspiration Board. It can be anything from anyone, whenever you want (playbills, photos, thank you notes, a shoelace with sentimental value), as long as it inspires. Inspire comes from the Old French ‘inspirare’ meaning, “breathe or blow into.” It can breathe life into you, or encouragement, hope, creativity, peace, or just a memory that warms you with joy. Surrounding yourself with this will help you be better and give you reason to seize each day and find the flavor and meaning in life’s little moments.
5 comments:
I like this idea...I want to encourage my kids to do something like this....but how and where...any ideas oh brilliant, creative one?
Love this!! You're so inspiring and positive. Gosh... if only our twinness meant that I was actually LIKE you! Gotta work on that one.
Wow, you are too kind. To respond to the first question, I don't know of any specific ideas, but I think it's key to recognize those moments and make it a point to mark them in your life (or kids lives). I've never been very consistent with journal writing, but I loved to draw pictures of what I did on any given day. I also think that fostering an environment of creative expression helps immensely. My Dad always told us as kids that walking through grass barefoot makes you more creative. I still remember the pictures my Mom would have us draw in Sacrament Meeting. Or going to the Reeder's and getting excited as Becky would suggest a dragon-making contest out of Play doh. Just start collecting things, photos, noteworthy assignments, a piece of something they broke. Once old enough, they can add to it themselves. Wouldn't that be cool if you had a palpable treasure chest of memories through your whole life that you could pull out at any given moment? Do it, Rhode, make me proud.
I LOVE this, Rye!!!! Obviously I love the idea of an Inspiration Board, but you YOU inspire me as you cover up the pipe to the septic tank with inspirational momentos. Wow, you amaze me! Way to findtheartintheeveryday! :) Plus, you listed off like 10 things that must've happened in the last month or so...you're going to have the thing filled up by Valentine's! Definitely by Easter!
Way to share your awesome ideas and creative spirit. (And bonus! There's more good stuff in the comments!) I'm going to make myself a place for inspiration and start one for each of my kids too. Also, kudos on completing a good-intention-idea! (Is that our team name? Gii? Like Wii?) Way to make it happen! ...follow up on me, will ya?
Ooo, Ry, I've got chills! Way to take my Inspiration Board idea to a new level! I love the way your mind works and the way you make everything around you better (pipes included). Elder Uchtdorf told the Relief Society last October, "Identify a space and beautify it." I loved that line and have recently begun an art project around that idea. But you, my brother, have already accomplished yours.
Post a Comment